Here we are in the month of love, though for pet parents, every day with our animals are days filled with love. Animals often give us more love than we sometimes experience from humans, heck, that’s what makes animals so amazing, unique and let’s be honest – addictive.
According to The 5 Love Languages® , the five love languages are words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. Every experienced pet owner knows each breed has its own special language. For example….
- Chihuahuas express love by chasing away all intruders, including the UPS guy, the mailman, and the FedEx driver.
- MinPins show their unique love by letting you know that anything on the floor is fair game for a quick pee. They also will let you know that they will bite if picked up, even though you are the one who feeds them.
- Pit Bulls express their love by excessive kissing, licking, and snorting good fun. Although you might assume they will keep the house safe, the Chihuahua has already filled the position and the Pit Bull knows it.
- Golden Retrievers have no idea about personal space and rightly so. Any moment not glued to their person’s side is a moment lost.
- Great Danes love according to their size and there is no space too small for them to express just how much.
- Rottweilers’ love is mobile and it’s right here right now! In your lap, in your face. Just HERE.
- The Yorkshire Terrier loves to give you mixed messages about wanting to be picked up and then wanting to be put down.
- The Pug’s love is directly tied to their food, and yours.
- The Hound’s love is one big sloppy mess, evidence of which can be found throughout the home.
- The German Shepherd’s love expression is directly tied to barking for extended periods of time for no apparent reason. You don’t know why they are barking, and neither do they.
- The Beagle’s stubborn yet dedicated nature has them loving their person in private while in social situations they could belong to whoever seems the most likely to feed them.
- The Labrador loves relentlessly all people, all times, in all places, with a hint or pure insanity.
- The mixed breed is the game changer, not following any rules, nor aligning with any breed. They are the true individuals who make us work just that bit harder to figure out but, when we do, boy, is it a love-fest!
We would be remiss without mentioning our other furry friends of the feline variety. Cats are not the same – and goodness knows there is not enough room here to cover the magnitude of variations of expressions of love from the feline kind. Mostly it is their ability to tune into our vibration and show up unannounced and flop into our laps right when we need them, giving the Pit Bull a whack on the head along the way, while configuring world domination as they ignore yet another unique protein purchase that put your bank balance in the red. Yes, cats love as cats love and it is not to be expected, it is to be received and cherished.
Whatever your breed, however you came to have the pack you have or if you just have eyes for the one animal you love, we can all agree that animals are easy to love, easy to be with, and impossible to say goodbye to.